An honour to have the opportunity to speak about my identity and Asian heritage.

Released on May 19, 2023 – My dad’s 84th birthday. This UNBC story is for you dad (and mom too). I would not be here without you and I feel very privileged.

https://www2.unbc.ca/newsroom/unbc-stories/learning-embrace-identity

The link above is a story that I have written on behalf of Asian Heritage Month. From what I understand, this was the first time the UNBC School of Education took a moment to acknowledge diversity within the school and I feel honoured to be asked to speak about my experience as a second-generation Chinese Canadian. Thank you UNBC Communications Department and School of Education Chair for this opportunity, but also for the freedom to speak candidly and wholeheartedly.

The timing of this opportunity to speak, reflect, and explore was serendipitous. I am currently working with a former student from the teacher education program and we are writing a program evaluation of our experience as second-generation Asian Canadian women and our experience in K-12 schools as learners and teachers. What is remarkable about our writing and collaboration is that we have had similar experiences yet we come from different generations and ethnicities.

Me and Melanie presenting at CSSE Congress 2023 on May 30, 2023 during roundtables at CATE.

The UNBC Story was where my headspace has been at the time. I’ve been reflecting on my ethnic identity with Melanie as a university instructor, but recognized that my sense of self and who I am as a second-generation Chinese Canadian and the experiences endured over decades and the writing Melanie and I are working on, “Decolonizing Practice: The Story We Tell Ourselves.” We are currently preparing to present at WFATE 2023 in July at UVIC in Victoria, BC.

What I have realized with Melanie is, I have grown overtime from this relationship. I am no alone. Racism is real. And, the struggle of understanding who I am does impact how I teach, as articulated by Parker Palmer’s (1997) Heart of a Teacher. The work that we are doing as BC educators in light of the TRC, BC’s Curriculum, First Peoples Principles of Learning, and Professional Standard 9 will be a journey and part of this journey is unpacking who we are as individuals in community.

My mom and dad (selfie) taken on August 18, 2017, the day after my dissertation defence.

Thank you mom and dad. I would not be here without you. The sacrifices you’ve made, the decisions you’ve made, and the struggles you’ve endured gave me (and my siblings) the “good life” that you’ve always hoped for us in Canada. I would not be where I am without you. I will continue to learn more about who I am as a cis-gendered Cantonese woman. I think about learning about my language and where you have come from. Maybe my next trip will be to Hong Kong. I love you both.

I am learning more and more about Chinese people in Canada, and in particular in northern British Columbia. I am learning more about the history of my parents and I hope to spend some time to uncover some of their stories to understand more about who I am as a person, friend, mom, sibling, child, educator, and researcher. Unravelling my ethnic identity and the role I play in the School of Education has been revealed in my recent work and I feel humbled to do this work at UNBC.