Going Async with EDUC 405

In 2023, I wanted to try something new for EDUC 405 (Reflective Practice and Inquiry Through Portfolios) for Blocks 3 and 4. I’ve tried vlogging before out of necessity during the pandemic for EDUC 405 during its implementation when there was no course time allotted to the course because it was originally intended to be interwoven in other coursework. Now, there is course time allotted to the course throughout the 16-months of the program. In doing so, the roles switch and the weaving is no longer done by the course instructor, but by the student.

I have deleted my last vlog series that was created during the pandemic. I had second thoughts and relationship development via Zoom was waning at best. During the second year of EDUC 405, I was not the course instructor. Now in it’s third iteration, I am teaching the Elementary Cohort and teaching both cohorts in its fourth year of implementation. Blocks 3 and 4 are the spring and summer intersession and EDUC 405 is delivered asynchronously and I have no class time to teach anything new. So, I’ve decided to return back to vlogging for EDUC 405.

Listed below are the 5-minute weekly vlogs to stay connected with the cohort, review concepts and ideas, and prompt for next steps in preparation for Block 5. Admittedly, I’m a little camera shy, but with each recording, it’s getting easier. I am open to your feedback, if you have any. I am definitely learning experientially and I am learning by doing, but I do appreciate challenging myself to step out of my box and model for students what is possible in their blog while learning how to do it too. I’m not sure if the students are watching, but I am willing to try. Why not?

EPISODE 1 – JUNE 14, 2023 – WELCOME TO THE VLOG

EPISODE 2 – JUNE 22, 2023 – REFLECT AND LEARN

EPISODE 3 – JUNE 28, 2023 – ON A BREAK (AND I’M SICK)

EPISODE 4 – JULY 5, 2023 – TWITTER AND INQUIRY

EPISODE 5 – JULY 14, 2023 – WFATE CONFERENCE AT UVIC

EPISODE 6 – JULY 19, 2023 – A FEW TIPS FOR PORTFOLIO