Educators engage in professional learning.

I just love learning in what I do. In fact, it’s the best part of my work and I believe that professional learning is all that I do. At least, when I keep the learning mindset, I am happy and joyful. My cup is full when I am learning. The artefacts I am providing as part of this webpage are the learning experiences that are not distinctly defined “professional development days.” I like to create my own learning experiences or participate in workshops that may not be perceived as “professional learning” but it is professional learning when it provides me with some insight in my professional practice or inspiration to be better as a learner.

I am drawn to the First Peoples Principles of Learning (2006) and the lessons it has to offer. The images I’ve provided below comes from beading classes at Two Rivers Art Gallery and online with UBC Indigenous Math Network, learning on the land in community (i.e., salmon festival), and learning from the land (i.e., forest bathing). I love the different types of beading I am engaged in but also learning more about “learning takes patience and time.” I learned how to bead from Indigenous artists and I am humbled by the work, the mindfulness, and the creativity. I make many parallels with beading to academic writing (and hope to write about this learning).

The Stalat’en Salmon Festival offered many amazing learning experiences. I went to this event with a teacher candidate, but was invited by a colleague of mine and working group who are connected with the local community. I appreciated the welcome, words shared by the elders, knowledge keepers, and the chief. and the drumming at the beginning of the event. Then we met and gathered at the hall and I loved the homemade bannock tacos for lunch. It was the absolutely delicious. I learned how to prepare the salmon and understood the importance of salmon to the community from cleaning, filleting, smoking, canning, and for the gathering.

My last example was a surprise win from my friend’s business, Talaysay Tours. I won the opportunity to forest bathe. I had no idea what that would entail, but I made the trip to the Lower Mainland to participate. I felt called to this learning and the image I shared was the tree that taught me about the lessons I needed to learn that day. I felt that the learning was transformative. From roots, to leaves, to the type of tree taught me about what’s important in teaching and learning, and my role in education. The experience was enlightening, fulfilling, and unexpected.

Beading Classes at Two Rivers Art Gallery in Prince George
Warped Squares – UBC Indigenous Math Network – Beading with Nico Williams
Salmon Festival with the Stellat’en First Nation – Preparing the Salmon
Forest Bathing at Stanley Park with Talaysay Tours