zl2C6q8I76RbT8PYRp_wyfIAA_CRH0Dy6A9uehPbbfU
UBC Aboriginal Math K-12 Symposium 2011 Keynote

I started teaching in 1994 after graduating from UBC. It was challenging to find work at the time, but I feel very lucky to have specialized in secondary math, science, and chemistry. I was able to secure a position on the Sunshine Coast. I learned a lot about teaching and learning in K-12 education. When I entered the teaching program in 1993, I was so happy to be accepted, but I also wanted to be an Adult Educator. I volunteered for a couple years at Kwantlen College in the ABE (adult basic education) program helping adults learn math. Fast forward a few decades later, I am very happy to be teaching at learning at UNBC in the Teacher Education Program (TEP) and graduate studies. It’s been a pedagogical journey.

SFU Master of Education Cohort 2012 in Education Leadership

I feel so fortunate due to very serendipitous life events to have taken the risk and be open to different teaching and learning opportunities beyond K-12 education. I met some amazing math educators through BCAMT and curriculum development with the BC Ministry of Education. I worked with CISVA (Catholic Independent Schools of Vancouver Archdiocese) to support teachers with the new curriculum as an independent educational consultant. I tutored math and served as a 2-term school trustee. Thankful for folks like Dr. Michele Nilson in the photo above, my EdD supervisor Dr. Daniel Laitsch, and my edu-superhero Dr. Geoff Madoc-Jones and many others in the field. I appreciated the mentorship and continued support.

Open Schools BC – Mathematics Competencies – Exploring Indigenous Education

I feel like I have returned home by returning back to teaching in teacher education. Students, in general, from K-12, undergraduate studies, and graduate studies are my truest inspiration and teachers. With a mindset of LEARNING and being open and vulnerable to learning opportunities and lifelong lessons, I am very grateful. In the photo below was a student teacher leading the learning. We are outside, learning about ratios and scales, and we are calculating the height of trees. This photo represents one of my most favourite learning experiences in higher ed.

SFU EDUC 454 (Burnaby Campus) – Student Led Learning – Getting Outside