October 13, 2024 – Place-Based Pedagogies

As I reflect on my teaching practice and where it is going, I am becoming more focused on place. I feel that is is more about developing my “self-knowledge” and learning more about myself in the context of this place. Most of my life I lived and learned with the ocean. I was born and raised in Prince Rupert and then went to post-secondary education in Vancouver. My teaching and school trustee career lasted about 25-years on the Sunshine Coast. My last 5+ years have been in Prince George. Much has changed in my life as well as my relationship with the land. In EDUC 394 in the teacher education program, I like to take the class to different places in Prince George to teach, learn, and collectively sense-make together.

In past, we have gone to West Lake Provincial Park. Lheidli T’enneh Memorial Park, to the pit house in the Forest of the World, Cottonwood Island Part, the Prince George Public Library, and Two Rivers Art Gallery. I’ve been so grateful to have been able to take my class to these places and in other courses in the following term, I like to take my class into elementary schools to do “real-life” work in teaching and learning in context. When I was a sessional instructor at Simon Fraser University, I also took the class outside (as best I could). My week ended with my EDUC 394 class at Cottonwood Island Park to lesson plan using BC’s Curriculum. Although it was a bit cold (but not snowing), learning outside is magical. There is something about being outside that makes learning better.

In EDUC 394, I love the pace of learning outside and how we can use the land as teacher and inspiration. For me, teaching and learning outside is grounding. Being on the land helps me to learn more about who I am and where I am. The signature pedagogy of the program is People, Place, and Land. Although I was part of the curriculum redesign team for the program, I believe all faculty members and students are continually learning and figuring out what our signature pedagogy means. If anything, there is an interrelationship amongst all three aspects such that the intersection of People, Place, and Land is ME. The more that I am making and deepening my relations with people, place, and land, in the Central Interior of BC, I learn more about me and become a better me. Thank You Lheidli T’enneh.